We tested and reviewed and found some of the best rabbit and guinea pig hutches
.. but….. did we spend a night in one of them?
Nope, when testing these, we didn’t sleep or spend time in a number of hutches ourselves – but we did put them through their paces. Rest assured 🙂
So… first of all, remember that Rabbits and Guinea pigs are very sociable animals.
It’s best if they can be paired up wherever possible to keep them happy.
Oh yes it does.
If you are serious about keeping your pet Rabbits or Guinea pigs happy then go bigger than you think. More so especially if they will be living as a pair.
The Rabbit welfare association recommends a “minimum” hutch size of 180x60x60cm. This allows for your Rabbit to stand on it’s back legs, stretch out and hop a few times to get some exercise. If you can also attach a run to the hutch then your Rabbit or Guinea pigs will be far happier.
If you’re super busy, we wanted to let you know our number 1 preferred rabbit hutch or guinea pig hutch that shone out was the 6 foot chartwell hutch.
Easily big enough for a pair, this hutch represents a superb starting point for your pet’s life.
It meets with the minimum standards designated by the Rabbit Welfare Association – so this means happy rabbits.
Aren’t we cute!
Most Guinea pigs get along with a fellow furry friend, so it’s usually a good idea to house two of them together.
Therefore look for the best guinea pig cage for two of them.
(Hint: bigger is always better!)
An outdoor guinea pig cage will always suit your furry Rabbits too, so try to imagine them having a bit of room to run around, and you’ll have far happier pets.
Where do we begin?
We had a lot to think about. You would have assumed that hutches are pretty much the same.
But they’re not.
In fact we had to take into account things such as:
- Size of hutch to allow for play space and sleep space
- How long it will withstand the elements (if at all!)
- Do we want indoor cages or outdoor cages?
- Would it fit our space?
- Is it easy to clean / is there a slide out tray ?
.. and so on.
So we eventually filtered out everything that didn’t meet these expectations and here is our top 10 list.
Our Best Rabbit Hutch (and Guinea Pigs Too)
The above outdoor guinea pig cages are our current favourites. Very well made, great pricing and great construction.
Remember that outdoor guinea pig hutches need to be safe, strong and warm. Your piggies and rabbits need to be protected from a variety of things, such as them venturing out into a neighbours property, into the road, or beging taken by a predator such as a large bird or fox for example.
Take any of the above outdoor guinea pig hutch designs and they won’t let you down. This is why they get our current highest recommendations!
Here is a breakdown of the top 10 best rabbit hutches and guinea pig hutches.
|Rabbit Hutch||Comments||Click To View Current Best Price|
|1: Bunny Ark Hutch||Handsome well made hutch. Pull out tray for easy cleaning|
|2: Hide House & Run (2 items)||Fantastic value for money|
|3: Huge 6 Foot Chartwell Hutch||Superb space, very well made|
|4: Confidence pet 4 foot deluxe hutch||Pull out tray for easy cleaning. Superb build quality|
|5: BTM 2 tier hutch for rabbits or guinea pigs||Well made and easy to clean. Very good value for money|
|6: Timbo rabbit hutch||Made from wood from sustainable forests|
|7: Ferplast Grand Lodge Our Choice!||Clean, tough plastic construction and pleasing on the eye|
|8: Trixie Natura Premium Hutch||We LOVE this. Plenty of room and even storage space in the roof.|
|9: Timbo Conny Hutch Our Choice!||Well made, metal lined pull out tray for easy cleaning|
|10: Charles Bentley A frame hutch||Great fair weather place to enjoy the outdoors|
1: BUNNY ARK – Hybrid – Double Tier Outdoor Rabbit Hutch Guinea Pig House Cage Pen Home (RH10) Review
A stunning outdoor rabbit hutch!
This is one brilliant deluxe rabbit hutch you are going to immediately fall in love with. It’s completely modern and stylish and ever so easy to clean – thanks to the pull out galvanized tray. Pull out, tap and wipe clean and all done!
It’s a metre and a half wide, a metre high and 66cm deep.
Rabbit and Guinea pig cage bottom ideas
Think that the main enclosed bit is for them to sleep in or rest and the rest is for play and exploration.
This is equally as good in use as an outdoor rabbit hutch or for indoor use.
- Double height hutch.
- 2 access doors.
- Includes slide out galvanised tray for easy cleaning.
- Plastic and wood construction throughout.
- Extension run available
The good bits:
- Ever so easy to put together
- Made using strong wood and plastic
- Easy to clean with the pull out tray
The not so good bits:
- Not “huge” so isn’t ideal for two grown rabbits, although there are separate extension kits you can get.
Overall this has found it’s way into our top 10 list for a reason. It is an excellent hutch. There are literally hundreds that haven’t made it to this stage.
2: Outdoor small hide house + 1 x Large VivaPet Outdoor Octagon 55-inch Run / Cage / Playpen / Enclosure for Rabbit Puppy Chicken Duck Hen Guinea Pig, with Sun Protection Net Cover review.
Although not technically a “hutch” per-se.. we absolutely love what is on offer. A complete fair weather setup that will perform just as good for most of the year too.
It’s a mini hideaway with an integrated playpen area with safety net cover too making to great to be left out all year other than deep winter when you may want something a bit more heavy duty, or even take your piggies or rabbits indoors.
The hideaway is around 50cm wide, 43 cm deep and 46.2cm high.
The net is part see through to provide space to hide from the sun, and to help your pet from jumping out or even birds or cats taking “too much of an interest”!
The good bits:
- The playpen is galvanized with a Zinc coating making it withstand rust
- The hideaway has a lockable front flap that comes down as a ramp
- The roof opens to allow easy access for cleaning etc.
The not so good bits:
- Would be brilliant if the hideaway was bigger or more of a hutch, but we are just being picky!
The best rabbit hutch for 2 rabbits
Deeper and higher than other cages, this 6 foot “luxury” Rabbit hutch provides superb living accommodation for your furry friends! It is premium in price and generally premium in quality too, however there are a few misgivings to consider firstly!
This hutch features:
- Deeper and Higher than other Rabbit Hutches on the market
- Double rabbit hutch – super deep!
- Robust 10mm timber side panel construction
- Cosy arched divided bedding area
- 1″x ½” galvanised wire mesh doors
- Aluminium barrel bolts
- Wooden rabbit hutch
1,804 x 650 x 1,300 cm
The good bits:
- We love the brilliant space that you get. Your guinea pigs or rabbits will really enjoy this.
- The main construction is very well made with plenty of access
- Superb as an indoor hutch with plenty of room
The not so good bits:
- The dividing wood appears a little thin, and we wondered how long it would last especially with multiple toilet breaks soaking into the wood (although the flooring is coated with a waterproof layer). That said it withheld our testing (based on two grumpy guinea pigs!)
- The floor sections and back panel appear to be made of a thinner wood, so if this is to be used in Winter you might want to consider a quality waterproof hutch cover.
Makes A Great Deluxe Rabbit Hutch Or A 2 Storey Guinea Pig Hutch
Your typical up and downstairs type of hutch. Great as a fun rabbit house or guinea pig getaway, or for ferrets etc. We feel the confidence pet 4 foot deluxe outdoor hutch is a lovely size for either 2 guinea pigs or 2 smaller rabbits. The manufacturer claims up to 5 or 6 rabbits but I’m not so sure if that is wise. A pair normally works best and this allows for room to play also.
This is one of the best rabbit hutch for 2 rabbits that are not too big
With plenty of access points, viewing areas and room, it’s an interesting space for your furry friends to play around in.
The hutch is made from quality wood with an antifungal finish to it.
- Suitable for rabbit, guinea pigs or ferrets. Pet friendly furniture grade wood with a waterproof antifungal finish – provides a safe and durable home for your pets. 4 lockable doors with wooden latches to keep hutch secure. Bottom: 2 lockable wooden latch doors – 1 cage wiring, 1 wooden ramp door Top: 2 lockable wooden latch doors – 1 cage wiring with feeding area, 1 wooden
- Double level hutch with ramp for rest and play. Ramp from top to bottom hutch. Top door with feeding compartment. Ramp door design for pets to exit for play. Hinged roof made from waterproof asphalt and furniture grade wood
- High quality fox proof cage wire. Top and bottom level pull out plastic tray with wooden edges – easy cleaning . Removable plastic tray. Elevated ground clearance with 4 rubber wooden legs – support on hard floors
- Weight: 19.01KG Overall Dimensions: 122 x 50 x 101cm. Bottom: (L) 113 x (W) 41.2 cm. Top: (L) 122 x (W) 50cm
- Ground clearance: 112mm. Thickness of front/side/back panels from 10-20mm
- (source amazon)
- 4 foot rabbit hutch – great for specific areas
What we like about this hutch:
- This hutch is very well made and tough too. It really is superb quality and can withstand a solid downpour even without a raincover. If you want a raincover here is one that is a perfect fit.
What we are not so keen on:
- The heart shaped latches seem a little flimsy, easy to remedy with some blocks of wood if this gives you any concerns.
One of the best outside rabbit hutches for smaller Rabbits (or Guinea Pigs).
A more compact hutch, perfect for 1 or 2 smaller rabbits or guinea pigs that even comes with a slide out tray for easy cleaning! Better suited to smaller areas.
This hutch measures 91cm wide x 45 cm deep x 92cm high (and that includes the overhang at the top so remember just for smaller animals and you’ll be fine).
As you can see the top opens on a locking hinge making clean outs super easy, especially with the added advantage of the pull out tray (whoever invented this needs a pat on the back!).
What we liked about this hutch:
- The wood is treated using a water based anti fungicidal animal and environment friendly stain
- Access for cleaning is a doddle!
What we weren’t too keen on:
- Part of us wishes it was a bit bigger for the same money
Made from wood from sustainable forests, this is a lovely cute hutch if you care about the environment. A fairly typical standard size (roughly 100cm wide, 100cm high and 50cm deep) it’s a cute design with pitched roof that opens out from the centre.
So, while researching and testing this hutch we noted that the English language was not native in the product description on Amazon, however from the tone displayed in the writing it was easy to see the good vibes and positivity around this hutch, and taking that into consideration.
What we like about this hutch
- Made from sustainable forestry efforts – great for environmentally aware people.
- Bitumen roof for weatherproofing
- Anti fungal coating
What we didn’t really like about this hutch
- Sadly it’s not ideal for 2 or more larger rabbits
- The ramp is fairly steep, so if your piggies struggle, try laying some sandpaper down on the ramp and use glue to hold it in place.
This is one of our favourite hutches.
Clean lines, contemporary clean feel, and with it being tough plastic, it’s not going to rot down from bad weather or pet wee!
Ferplast are a trusted Italian company who have been into “all things pets” for more than 50 years (they started out with a simple bird cage and things grew from there)
A full hinged roof – for quick and easy access
Slide out tray for super easy cleaning (and it’s easy wipe plastic too!)
115.5 x 110 x 73 cm
What we like about this hutch
- It’s different, and that uniqueness is captured so well in the solid plastic design that is clean, tough and welcoming.
- It comes with a handsome array for extra’s such as:
- Feeder, Feeding bowl, drinking bottle, 2 x wooden ladders.
- Performs well if you want to add on a rabbit run to allow for movement through the day.
What we didn’t like:
- Could have been a touch bigger for a friendlier size for larger pets
A perfect guinea pig hutch and run!
This is just way too cute. It’s one of the best hutches for rabbits due to the grand size of it. It pretty much summarizes what a hutch should be. A nice quiet space off the ground and plenty of room down below for fun and games.
Oh and also the fact is it is a superb amount of space at almost 2 metres wide, 1 and a half metres deep and almost a metre high. Your rabbits or piggies will love their own “castle!”
Features we love!
- Made from solid glazed pine.
- The meshing is closely knitted so you can use this easily to rear young pets
- There is a pull out plastic drawer for easy cleaning
- space in the roof for storage of pet essentials – bedding, food etc.
Negatives / drawbacks
- The bolts to close the door appear a tad on the small size. Adequate for 99% of situations however if you live where there are foxes you might want to purchase one or two extra bolts from your local DIY shop for extra strength.
- Although very much a premium top quality product, we would liked to have seen this a touch cheaper.
To complement this hutch, here is the correct winter rain cover that allows access to doors. It fits around the hutch brilliantly, fitting snugly under the roof.
9: Rabbit hutch CONNY made of solid fir wood with outdoor enclosure, 140x65x120 cm, rabbit hutch, cage for small animals, rabbit hutch for summer & winter – TIMBO rabbit hutch & hutch for small animals
The best guinea pig cage for 2
Made from eco-sustainable forests, the 140 x 65 x 120 cm Apex hutch has neat modern features that will provide great living conditions for your furry friends.
Features of this modern rabbit hutch:
Metal lined pull out tray that resists staining unlike wood or plastic ones
Ideal for one rabbit or two or more guinea pigs.
What we liked about this hutch:
- We liked the fact that the construction is extremely good.
- All joints are morticed for strength
- The roof is covered with a weatherproof Bitumen felt to keep the weather out.
What we didn’t like about this hutch:
We really did like this one. In fact it was a firm favourite among 6 of our 10 warriors. One of our best rabbit hutches on review. A top quality rabbit hutch (also for Guinea pigs!)
10: Charles Bentley Pets A-Frame Wooden Outdoor Portable Rabbit Hutch Guinea Pig Run (optional protective cover)
So… let’s start out by stating that this isn’t a hutch, so to speak, but it made it into our top 10 list. We feel this Charles Bentley a-framed hutch would suffice for pretty much all year round. You can of course bring your rabbits or guinea pigs indoors in Winter if you prefer.
Note… this is best suited to a single small rabbit or 2 small guinea pigs at best.
So, for a start, with it being an “on the ground” hutch, over time the wood would eventually become susceptible to the damp.
As a spring, summer and autumn hutch it’s good, however if you are considering using this during winter you might want to incorporate a bit of DIY to extend it’s lifespan. Our view would be to attach a piece of ply board to the bottom and then raise the entire thing off the ground with bricks during wet or wintry weather. It helps air flow underneath, stopping dampness from getting to the wood.
Bear in mind if purchasing this, that the walls are made from thin wood, so extra bedding or heat pads would help during winter. Better still pop it indoors in a spare room!
Why we included this in our list:
- Very cost effective
- handy for use most of the year
- Extremely well made
- Light weight so can be moved around through the year
What we didn’t like:
- Not really suitable to attach a water bottle, so a small bowl would be needed
- Not entirely ideal for Winter (thin construction, sits on floor (cold!))
- A little small, so really 1 or 2 small pets at very most
Guinea Pig Toys From Household Items
There are dozens and dozens of things you could use from home to make toys for your Guinea Pigs. The video below will help get you started, and there are lots of related videos on there that will give you a head start too!
As a brief summary, think about things they can nibble on or chew.
- Cardboard toilet rolls are great (it helps them nibble to keep their teeth down and stop them growing too much.
- Doggy chews work just as well, as long as they are chewable
- Soft cuddly toys – yes piggies love them, just keep an eye closely in case they decide to eat some of the inner fluff.
Toys for Rabbits made from household items
Rabbits have similar obsessions as Guinea Pigs and enjoy simialr toys, but can also get into slightly tougher items such as Wicker baskets, paper bags etc. All good for their interest and helping to keep their teeth nice.
Here’s a video showing a few home made rabbit toy ideas (again there are plenty more videos after this one if you get engrossed in them).
Did we help you find the best rabbit hutch or best guinea pig hutch? Comment below