Chicken is one of the mainstays of many a home in the Uk, and with the rise of the air fryer more and more people are wondering how best to marry the two for some wonderful meals. Well never fear, using your air fryer for chicken snacks or meals is ever so simple.
Sometimes you want to go all out and create something worth looking forward to, and other times you want to be able to just “shove some chicken in” and eat it as soon as possible.
Here then is a round up of some of the best chicken recipes we’ve come across.
I wanted to show recipes that could be done fast and others that took longer. Trouble is most chicken if cooked from fresh will take at least 30 minutes so you need to factor this into your cooking schedule.
Crispy air fried chicken – 70 minutes total cook & prep time
This recipe looks utterly DELICIOUS! It’s a case of mixing together some flour, egg, cajun seasoning etc.
Cooking time including prep: 70 minutes (10 minutes prep, then 30 minutes on one side, turn the chicken and cook for a further 30 minutes).
How to do this:
- (Please refer to the above link for specific step by step instructions), but in a nutshell you will be mixing 1½ Tablespoons of Old Bay Seasoning, a cup flour, and 1 teaspoon seasoning salt. Then whisking an egg separately in another bowl.
- The next step is to drop a chicken piece into the flour, then into the egg then back into the flour. Repeat for a few pieces of chicken and finally give them a spray all over with some spray oil.
- Then you can pop them in the air fryer. Looking at about an hour cooking, and you can turn them over after 30 minutes.
A definite one to try out.
KFC Chicken recipe for your air fryer – omg…! – 40 minute cook and prep time
If you can demolish a KFC time after time, it’s no wonder. Their secret recipe for the Chicken coating is what has entertained people for many years.
Cooking time including prep: 40 minutes approximately
So I’m just going to let the video below do the talking. If you’re a fan of KFC then give this a whirl!
In the video she outlines a list of all the ingredients that go into it – and they are all easy to find ingredients that are stocked at most supermarkets.
She cooked the KFC copycat chicken for 18 minutes however it did look a bit raw when finished, so I’d personally look to add an extra 10 minutes on, and see for yourself if you are happy. As long as it’s steaming hot and White you can adjust to suit your own personal taste. Some chicken might be bigger too, so this is one recipe that comes with an approximate cooking time depending on the size.
Chicken strips – 15-20 minutes total cook & prep time
FAST recipe, great for hungry kids!
Cooking time including prep: 15 to 20 minutes (5 minutes prep, then 3 minutes on one side, turn the chicken and cook for a further 3 minutes – an optional 2 extra minutes right at the end for reheating if you are cooking a large number of chicken strips).
How to do this:
(Please do refer to the link above for this excellent fast recipe).
The recipe simply involves preheating your air fryer as usual. Then creating a breadcrumb based mixture you will use for coating the strips and finally cooking.
The mixture uses a “seasoning salt” (1 to 1/2 teaspoons), 1/2 cup of plain breadcrumbs and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper.
- You essentially mix the ingredients, turn your chicken strips in the mix ( aim to do 4 to 5 pieces at a time in the air fryer – It’s best not to cook too many at once as you really don’t want each piece to be touching the next one, so that a good all round finish can be achieved when cooking) .
- Spray the wire tray in the air fryer with a spray oil and pop in the chicken, cooking for about 3 minutes each side.
Serve and enjoy!
Orange chicken – minutes total cook & prep time
Not the fastest of meals but utterly delicious!
Cooking time including prep: 30 to 40 minutes
How to do this:
(Please do watch the video to the link above for this recipe).
- The recipe essentially involves the mixing of flour, corn starch, salt and black pepper into a food bag and popping this to one side. You will be using this to coat the chicken pieces in a moment.
- Whisking an egg in a bowl, then popping in some cut up pieces of chicken in the bowl to coat them, before popping the chicken into the coating you mixed together previously in the bag. Don’t forget to season the chicken at every stage with salt and black pepper.
- Once the chicken is coated in the flour mix, pop it out of the bag onto a plate or tray and a quick spray of oil will help at this stage to give it a nice crispy coating.
- Pop the chicken in the air fryer at 370 degrees for about 10 minutes… turn it over, another spray of oil then cook again for a further 12 to 15 minutes.
At this stage it should be nicely cooked.
For the Orange sauce you can get the ingredients list from her website at https://www.cookingwithhua.com/orange-chicken/
Add the sauce ingredients as per the video and when it’s all thickened up , add in the chicken and serve!
Cooking frozen chicken – 10 to 15 minutes defrost time, then 20 to 30 minutes cook time depending on size of chicken
Cooking time including prep: 30 to 45 minutes.
How to do this:
(Defrosting meat PROPERLY is really important, and needs to be done thoroughly. If you are at all unsure then defrost the meat overnight in your fridge.
The main takeaway here is that you should check that the meat is soft right n the middle (after the defrosting part of your meal has been done).. If it feels firm and hard then it’s probably still frozen in the centre.
In the video above the guy is seen cooking the chicken on both sides for between 6 and 12 minutes per side. That will give you some sort of idea on how long to cook each piece for.