Does size matter for your Guinea pigs home?
Oh yes it does. In fact the bigger the better when it comes to choosing Guinea Pig hutches, runs or cages.
If you are serious about keeping your Guinea pig (or rabbit) happy then ALWAYS go bigger than you think. So as you look at the following hutches please bear this in mind.
Some Guinea pig hutches are flimsy, some are made of weatherprooof materials, so decide where they will be spending most of their time and choose appropriately. Don't forget things like ensuring space for a water bottle and getting them a decent amount of floor space.
What is the best type of hutch for a Guinea Pig?
In general most Guinea pigs are happier with a larger hutch with more room for play or exploration. They prefer a hutch that offers warmth and is draught free (so consider a hutch that can be moved into a garden shed during Winter, or has a good weatherproof cover).
Rabbits and Guinea pigs have similar needs in many ways. For example in terms of diet. They also both make wonderful pets. You will notice I sometimes refer to Rabbit information during this post, however the information is transferable to Guinea pigs in just the same way.
- This allows for your Rabbit to stand on it's back legs, stretch out and hop a few times to get some exercise. So floor space is a big thing.
- If you can also attach a run then your Rabbit or Guinea pigs will be far happier.
- Getting enough space is vital.
- Guinea pigs don't need a hutch quite so tall, but they do prefer to be in pairs, and they still need plenty of floor space.
- Getting the correct rain cover should also be an essential purchase.
Most Guinea pigs get along with a fellow furry friend, so it's usually a good idea to house two of them together. Make sure there are some toys and you will have happy piggies! Therefore look for the best guinea pig cage for two of them. (Hint: bigger is always better!)
An outdoor guinea pig cage will always suit your furry Rabbits too, so try to imagine them having a bit of room to run around, and you'll have far happier pets.
Where do we begin?
You could pop out and take a look in a few different pet shops, and some times this makes a lot of sense. However I feel it is better to use pet shops as a base, and then take the ones you like and look online. Often this can be achieved at a better deal. So, with this write up I had a lot to think about. You would have assumed that a Guinea Pig hutch is simply just that, a hutch, and most would be pretty much the same. But they're not.
In fact when choosing pet homes, we had to take into account things such as:
- Size of hutch to allow for play and sleep space
- How long it will withstand the elements
- Is there a rain cover available?
- Do we want indoor cages or outdoor cages?
- Is it easy to clean ?
- .. and so on.
Top 3 Best Overall
Why is the Feelgood traditional hutch my BEST-rated Guinea Pig hutch overall?
Fits most of your pigs needs
The FeelGood 4 foot hutch makes sense in a number of ways:
- Provides 2 levels for interest, and to give them somewhere warm to go when cold
- A reliable and solid build quality
- A good price tag
- Now comes with a free rain cover
I have chosen this particular cage because it satisfies a fair few criteria. In essence, it is the best all-rounder.
It's not perfect but it covers what you need. It effectively balances budget with features in the best way possible.
- Mid-priced hutch that is treated with an anti fungicidal treatment and won't break the bank
- Click here to view it on Amazon Uk.
- The 2 levels of the hutch ensures your Guinea pigs can move around effectively. Each level provides stimulation for their minds and lets them choose where they want to be at any particular time.
- Made using high quality timber that is jointed, sanded, screwed and glued.
- Roof felt provides weatherproofing where needed. The roof also has an exclusive drip edge at the back for rainwater run off.
- The TWO slide out trays makes cleaning so much easier (top level and lower level)
- You can also close off the top section when required - for example if cleaning out the bottom section you can keep your piggies in the top section. You can also use this at night time to help lock in warmth.
- Features secure locks and catches throughout for safety reasons.
- There is a real company behind the brand. They provide full telephone and address details on their website if needed.
While it doesn't score perfect in every aspect, it's as good as it gets for an all round hutch.
- If you want bigger you have to pay out so much more. This is big enough for one or two Guinea pigs
- Price wise it is extremely competent and worth it’s outlay.
- It now comes with a free rain cover
MOST INTERESTING HUTCH
Why would you choose the "Ark?
Attractive and functional
There is no doubt about it. This is one pretty hutch. The 2 tiers make it a very useful one to think about.
Look forward to:
- High build quality
- Easy to keep clean
- Weatherproof sleeping areas
- Appealing design
- Available cover here
This particular hutch is included here because it offers something that is architecturally different in terms of design from traditional hutches.
Here’s what you get:
- Competitively priced. (Check it out here on Amazon Uk). It's not a budget model but in the same breath it's not ridiculously expensive either.
- This is a double height hutch for maximum stimulation for your Guinea pigs
- There are two access doors for reaching in and/or cleaning
- The slide out galvanised tray helps make cleaning easier
- Plastic and wood construction
- For extra space simply wrap a metal pen around the ark to allow your pigs extra roaming space while you clean.
A GOOD SPACIOUS AFFORDABLE HUTCH
Why is the Pawhut hutch here?
An affordable hutch with good features
The Pawhut Guinea Pig hutch:
- Is the least expensive hutch in this list
- Provides good outdoor run space
- Is well made and weatherproof to boot!
- Grab this attractive hutch without spending too much money. This is the least expensive one in this list currently.
- Cleverly designed sloping roof helps keep the main sleeping areas dry and warm
Your piggies and rabbits need to be protected from a variety of things, such as them venturing out into a neighbours property, into the road, or being taken by a predator such as a large bird or fox for example.
1: BUNNY ARK - Hybrid - Double Tier Outdoor Rabbit Hutch Guinea Pig House Cage Pen Home (RH10) Review - A stunning outdoor rabbit hutch!
This is one brilliant deluxe Guinea Pig hutch you are going to immediately fall in love with. It's completely modern and stylish and ever so easy to clean - thanks to the pull out galvanized tray. Pull out, tap and wipe clean and all done! Great for removing soiled bedding materials.
Think that the main enclosed bit is for them to sleep in or rest and the rest is for play and exploration. So in the bottom of the cage you want things such as tunnels, tubes, balls to play with and so on. Here's a number of toys for rabbits and for guinea pigs. This is equally as good in use as an outdoor rabbit hutch or for indoor use.
- Double decker height Guinea pig enclosure.
- Plenty of room for the many Guinea pig cage accessories available.
- 2 access doors.
- Includes slide out galvanised tray for easy cleaning.
- Plastic and wood construction throughout.
- Extension run available
The good bits:
- Ever so easy to put together
- Made using strong wood and plastic
- Easy to clean with the pull out tray
- Super design, great for a Guinea pig or two
- Has enough space to let them hop around inside the floor area.
- Probably the best Guinea Pig home we have ever featured!
The not so good bits:
- Not "huge" so isn't ideal as a full size Rabbit hutch, although 2 small Rabbits would be ok (although there are separate extension kits you can get). You can get these from many pet shops or online at Amazon through the links on this page.
2: Outdoor small hide house + 1 x Large VivaPet Outdoor Octagon 55-inch Run / Cage / Playpen / Enclosure for Rabbit Puppy Chicken Duck Hen Guinea Pig, with Sun Protection Net Cover review.
Although not technically a "hutch" per-se.. we absolutely love what is on offer. A complete fair weather setup that will perform just as good for most of the year too. One of the most fun Guinea Pig cages money can buy.
(Image above links to Amazon)
It's a mini hideaway with an integrated playpen area with safety net cover too making to great to be left out all year other than deep winter when you may want something a bit more heavy duty, or even take your piggies or rabbits indoors. More than enough space for your Guinea pig or Rabbit to exercise. A great play area for day time fun!
The hideaway is around 50cm wide, 43 cm deep and 46.2cm high. Your Guinea Pig is going to to love this! Outdoor use and somewhere to keep out the sun if needed! A rain cover will help keep them dry, and also minimise heat stroke. Pet safety has to come first when choosing your set up.
The good bits:
- The playpen is galvanized with a Zinc coating making it withstand rust
- The hideaway has a lockable front flap that comes down as a ramp
- The roof opens to allow easy access for cleaning etc.
- Any cheap tarpaulin will make a good rain cover, or you can buy a made to measure cover.
3: Confidence Pet 4ft Deluxe Outdoor Rabbit Hutch review - Makes A Great Deluxe Rabbit Hutch Or A 2 Storey Guinea Pig Hutch
Your typical up and downstairs type of hutch. Great as a fun rabbit house or guinea pig getaway, or for ferrets etc. We feel the confidence pet 4 foot deluxe outdoor hutch is a lovely size for either 2 guinea pigs or 2 smaller rabbits. The manufacturer claims up to 5 or 6 rabbits but I'm not so sure if that is wise. A pair normally works best and this allows for room to play also.
This is one of the best rabbit hutch for 2 rabbits that are not too big
With plenty of access points, viewing areas and room, it's an interesting space for your furry friends to play around in. The hutch is made from quality wood with an antifungal finish to it.
- Suitable for rabbit, guinea pigs or ferrets. Pet friendly furniture grade wood with a waterproof antifungal finish - provides a safe and durable home for your pets. 4 lockable doors with wooden latches to keep hutch secure. Bottom: 2 lockable wooden latch doors - 1 cage wiring, 1 wooden ramp door Top: 2 lockable wooden latch doors - 1 cage wiring with feeding area, 1 wooden
- Double decker Rabbit hutch with ramp for rest and play. Ramp from top to bottom hutch. Top door with feeding compartment. Ramp door design for pets to exit for play. Hinged roof made from waterproof asphalt and furniture grade wood
- High quality fox proof cage wire. Top and bottom level pull out plastic tray with wooden edges - easy cleaning . Removable plastic tray. Elevated ground clearance with 4 rubber wooden legs - support on hard floors
- Weight: 19.01KG Overall Hutch size: 122 x 50 x 101cm. Bottom: (L) 113 x (W) 41.2 cm. Top: (L) 122 x (W) 50cm
- Ground clearance: 112mm. Thickness of front/side/back panels from 10-20mm
- (source amazon)
- 4 foot rabbit hutch - great for specific areas
What we like about this hutch:
- This Rabbit hutch is very well made and tough too. It really is superb quality and can withstand a solid downpour even without a raincover. If you want a rain cover here is one that is a perfect fit.
What we are not so keen on:
- The heart shaped latches seem a little flimsy, easy to remedy with some blocks of wood if this gives you any concerns.
4: FeelGoodUK Rabbit Hutch and Cover with Rain Cover - One of the best outside rabbit hutches for smaller Rabbits (or Guinea Pigs).
A more compact hutch for smaller rabbits or guinea pigs that even comes with a slide out tray for easy cleaning! The hutch size measures: width : 120cm x overall depth : 50cm x overall height : 104cm
The top opens on a locking hinge making cleaning easy, especially with the added advantage of the pull out tray. You may also need to consider a waterproof cover.
What we liked about this Guinea Pig hutch:
- The wood is treated using a water based anti fungicidal animal and environment friendly stain
- Access for cleaning is a doddle!
- Great Guinea Pig hutch for 1 or 2 Guinea pigs.
This is one of our favourite chew resistant Guinea pig hutches. Clean lines, contemporary clean feel, and with it being tough plastic, it's not going to rot down from bad weather or pet wee! Guinea pigs - do your worst!
Ferplast are a trusted Italian company who have been into "all things pets" for more than 50 years (they started out with a simple bird cage and things grew from there)
- A full hinged roof - for quick and easy access
- Slide out tray for super easy cleaning (and it's easy wipe plastic too!)
- Hutch size: 115.5 x 110 x 73 cm
What we like about this hutch
- It's different, and that uniqueness is captured so well in the solid plastic design that is clean, tough and welcoming.
- It comes with a handsome array for extra's such as:
- Feeder, Feeding bowl, drinking bottle, 2 x wooden ladders.
- Performs well if you want to add on a rabbit run to allow for movement through the day.
- Might not be the biggest hutch size for larger pets but as a Guinea pig hutch it would be fine.
What we didn't like:
- Could have been a touch bigger for a friendlier size for larger pets
- Although great for your pet Guinea pigs, it would feel cramped for more than two, or larger Rabbits.
6: Trixie Natura Small Animal Hutch with Outdoor Run, 199 x 146 x 93 cm, Brown - A perfect guinea pig hutch and run!
This is just way too cute. It's one of the best hutches for rabbits due to the grand size of it. It pretty much summarizes what a hutch should be. A nice quiet space off the ground and plenty of room down below for fun and games. The hutch size is really good. It is a superb amount of space at almost 2 metres wide, 1 and a half metres deep and almost a metre high. Your rabbits or piggies will love their own "castle!"
Features we love!
- Made from solid glazed pine.
- The meshing is closely knitted so you can use this easily to rear young pets
- There is a pull out plastic drawer for easy cleaning
- space in the roof for storage of pet essentials - bedding, food etc.
- One of the most interesting Guinea pig hutches we've seen!
- As a Rabbit hutch it will still be great, just make sure that you don't have large sized Rabbits as it may feel a bit tight on space.
Negatives / drawbacks
- The bolts to close the door appear a tad on the small size. Adequate for 99% of situations however if you live where there are foxes you might want to purchase one or two extra bolts from your local DIY shop for extra strength.
- Although very much a premium top quality product, we would liked to have seen this a touch cheaper.
To complement this hutch, here is the correct winter rain cover that allows access to doors. It fits around the hutch brilliantly, fitting snugly under the roof.
7: Charles Bentley Pets A-Frame Wooden Outdoor Portable Rabbit Hutch Guinea Pig Run (optional protective cover)
So... let's start out by stating that this isn't a hutch, so to speak, but it made it into our top 10 list. We feel this a-framed hutch would suffice for pretty much all year round. You can of course bring your rabbits or guinea pigs indoors in Winter if you prefer. Note... this is best suited to a single small rabbit or 2 small guinea pigs at best. So, for a start, with it being an "on the ground" hutch, over time the wood would eventually become susceptible to the damp.
As a spring, summer and autumn Guinea Pig hutch it's good, however if you are considering using this during winter you might want to incorporate a bit of DIY to extend it's lifespan. Our view would be to attach a piece of ply board to the bottom and then raise the entire thing off the ground with bricks during wet or wintry weather. It helps air flow underneath, stopping dampness from getting to the wood.
Bear in mind if purchasing this, that the walls are made from thin wood, so extra bedding or heat pads would help during winter. Better still pop it indoors in a spare room! The good news is that the rain cover for this hutch can be found here on Amazon
Why we included this in our list:
- Very cost effective space saving hutch for Guinea Pigs
- handy for use most of the year
- Extremely well made
- Light weight so can be moved around through the year
What we didn't like:
- Not really suitable for attaching a water bottle, so a small bowl would be needed
- Not entirely ideal for Winter (thin construction, sits on floor (cold!))
- A little small, so really 1 or 2 small pets at very most
Here is a breakdown of the top 10 best rabbit hutches and guinea pig hutches.
|Rabbit Hutch||Comments||Click To View Current Best Price|
|1: Bunny Ark Hutch||Handsome well made hutch. Pull out tray for easy cleaning|
|2: Hide House & Run (2 items)||Fantastic value for money|
|3: Huge 6 Foot Chartwell Hutch||Superb space, very well made|
|4: Confidence pet 4 foot deluxe hutch||Pull out tray for easy cleaning. Superb build quality|
|5: BTM 2 tier hutch for rabbits or guinea pigs||Well made and easy to clean. Very good value for money|
|6: Timbo rabbit hutch||Made from wood from sustainable forests|
|7: Ferplast Grand Lodge Our Choice!||Clean, tough plastic construction and pleasing on the eye|
|8: Trixie Natura Premium Hutch||We LOVE this. Plenty of room and even storage space in the roof.|
|9: Timbo Conny Hutch Our Choice!||Well made, metal lined pull out tray for easy cleaning|
|10: Charles Bentley A frame hutch||Great fair weather place to enjoy the outdoors|
Did we help you find the best rabbit hutch or best guinea pig hutch? Please comment below (your email address will not be published). Got a question? Please contact us using the contact page (your email address will be treated in the strictest confidence and never shared).